Minimalist in the Making


“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."- Matthew 6: 19-21

Have you ever heard well known Christian Artist, Toby Mac's song, "Lose My Soul"? This song played in my mind as I was attempting to clean up & declutter my so called walk-in closet. Ever feel completely overwhelmed over the fact that you've consumed so much that  you don't even know where to begin? "I don't want to gain the whole world & lose my soul.." Those were the lyrics that floated about my thoughts as I observed the overall area that most definitely needed some attention. 

Truth be told, I got sick. Not literally but literally. I was so sick of how much I had hoarded over the years of my marriage. I mean I never had the luxury of picking out & buying things that I liked or wanted. So when I started my first job, I couldn't help but give in to falling into the trap of self pleasure & materialism. I would justify it over & over again that I was only buying stuff on sale & that I was getting my dollars worth. Walking out of the store with 4 items for the price of 1. I was so proud. 

Little did I know that this justification of being able to shop on a budget would come back to kick me in the butt. What began as an unending-budget-friendly shopping haul steered me into becoming a hoarder. I couldn't believe it myself and admitting it was the hardest thing ever. But I knew that I had gone out of control. I had so many clothes, shoes, accessories, & etc. But I was never satisfied nor did I ever feel like I had something decent to wear. 

It was in that moment that I knew something had to change. Like the song says, I really don't want to gain the whole world yet lose my soul. I started to cull my closet. I started to pray & repent of my excessive addiction to wanting & buying more and more. I felt God impress this truth on my heart. "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." I started to re-evaluate myself. Why was I holding on to so much? Why have I become my very own nightmare? Was God not enough for me? Why have I become so reliant on materials to satisfy me?

You betcha, that God is going to let you in on the hard truth when you ask Him for it. It hit me so hard. I instantly realized that minimizing & de-cluttering was actually more of a spiritual & emotional battle.  Slowly but surely, I started letting go of a few things. A few things led to more. And now, I can honestly say that I feel so much more at peace with letting go of the things I don't need and keeping only the necessities. 

My clothes and my wardrobe don't define me. My God does. My clothes don't satisfy my heart. My Lord does. 


With some research & filtering of the heart, I have incorporated my closet into a capsule wardrobe. Containing only the basics & pieces that I absolutely love and feel confident in. Now, I have less than I ever had before but I don't ever find myself saying "I don't have anything to wear." Ironic isn't it? 

Ever heard the saying," You can have everything but if you don't have Jesus, you have nothing. And if you have Jesus yet you have nothing, you have EVERYTHING." 

I'd rather have Jesus than an overflow of materials that won't benefit me one bit. 

I'm working on putting together a video of my insane before & after. Subscribe & follow to see this Minimalist in the Making. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Long to Last Year

A Continuous Transformation

My Word for 2016: JoyFull